Rockville Public Library is committed to making library services accessible for all our users.
The Rockville Public Library is fully ADA compliant. This includes access to all areas of the building, and all collections and resources.
For People with Visual Impairments
- Large print books, both fiction and nonfiction, in the reading room of the library
- Audiobooks on the main floor
- A handheld magnifier is available at the Reference Desk for use in the library
For People with Hearing Impairments
- DVD films with English subtitles
- Closed caption DVDs.
For People with Limited Mobility
- Ramp at the back library entrance
- Automatic door openers at the back entrance
- Designated handicapped parking spaces in the lower parking lot
- Wheelchair accessible reference and circulation desks
- Elevator to all floors of the library
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms
- Sit down catalog terminal that accommodates wheelchairs
Other Assistive Services
- Homebound program: Any resident of Vernon who is considered homebound due to illness, age, or temporary/permanent disability, is eligible for pick up and delivery of library materials through the Friends of the Library. Program participants must have a Rockville Library card in good standing. The Friends, an all-volunteer group, will deliver the selected books, audiobooks, or magazines to the homebound individual. Movies cannot be taken out through this program due to the short time period they are allowed to be out. After a period of approximately 3 weeks, the volunteer will pick up and return the borrowed material to the library when the patron has finished with it. New items will be delivered at that time. Please call the Library at 860-875-5892 x 100 to speak to the Adult Circulation desk and leave a referral. Access details about the program HERE. Click Homebound Application to get a printable application that you can mail to the library to this address:
Rockville Public Library
Attn: Jean Luddy
52 Union Street
Vernon, CT 06066
- Catalog assistance: Staff librarians will check the online catalog, check the shelves, place holds and interlibrary loans for individuals whenever the library is open
- Staff will retrieve materials anywhere in the building. Just ask!
Books and Periodicals for People with Disabilities
- Books, videos, and other materials on disabilities in our online catalog
Websites on Disabilities
- Opportunity Works: Enhances the lives of people with disabilities through meaningful and gainful employment services.
- Connecticut DSS: Programs for People with Disabilities: State agency whose primary mission is to assure access to state and local programs, activities, and services for people with disabilities.
- Connecticut Department of Rehabilitative Services: State agency responsible for Vocational Rehabilitation Services and eligibility determination for the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) federal benefits programs.
- CT Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities: Protection and advocacy agency for the rights of Connecticut residents with disabilities.
- CT Community Care Inc.: Services to identify choices and provide services to help people of all ages, abilities, and incomes to live at home.
- Abilities.com: Comprehensive resource for disabilities of all types.
- Information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Disability Services: U.S. federal government website for information on disability programs and services nationwide, such as how to apply for disability benefits, find a job, get health care or pay for accessible housing.